The Dust Cube is a small rugged device that measures both gas and particulate matter (pm1, pm2.5, pm10) and is an effective monitor for low-cost screening, construction dust and local authority investigations.
The Dust Cube uses Alphasense sensors throughout and can be supplied with one (soon to be two) of their standard A4 electrochemical gas or VOC sensors.
Sensor data including temperature and humidity can be stored on the device or transmitted in real-time via the 4G modem. Open-source device firmware is supplied for highly customisable sensing and analysis. To maximise ROI over the life of the instrument, upgrades to device firmware and diagnostics are supplied remotely (if South Coast Science data analytics is used).
The Dust Cube offers an out-of-the-box solution for urban air quality monitoring. The Dust Cube answers both the challenge of capturing accurate data in variable climate conditions and the need for fine-grained air quality monitoring networks.
The AcSoft Dust Cube air quality and particulate monitor using the MCERTS certified South Coast Science Praxis/URBAN.
- Alphasense optical particle counter(OPC-N3): PM1, PM2.5 and PM10
- Alphasense electrochemical sensors: CO, H2S, NO, NO2, O3, SO2
- (PID): VOCs and (NDIR) CO2
- Temperature, humidity (T/rH) and barometric pressure (pA) sensors
- High frequency sampling: up to one sample per two seconds
- Up to two hours operation in event of external power loss
- Enclosure designed for ultra-low RF noise and harsh climates
- Ultra low noise sensing for gases (ppb) and particulates (μg/m3)
- Support for multiple analysis techniques including any sampling rate and real-time access
- High density air quality network using low-cost, individually baselined devices
- Open source device firmware for highly customisable sensing, data delivery and analysis
- Remote Diagnostics, over-the-air software update and data-interpretation upgrade all available with SCS data infrastructure
Dust Cube Specification
- One Alphasense electrochemical sensor or NDIR for CO2 or PID for VOCs
- Ultra low-noise circuitry maximises repeatability of electrochemical sensing.
- Alphasense OPC-N3 particle counter, plus approximated readings up to 40 microns.
- Sensirion temperature/relative humidity sensor, TDK digital barometer
- Data correction refined through co-location with government reference equipment.
- Variable sampling rates with a frequency up to every two seconds
- Alphasense analogue front-end (AFE) supporting up to four A4 electrochemical sensors. Additional NDIR CO2 via a separate interface. Other combinations on request
- Particulate monitoring uses Alphasense OPC-N3 particle counter
- Sensirion temperature and relative humidity sensor
- TDK barometric pressure sensor
- Ultra low-noise circuitry maximises repeatability of electrochemical sensing
- Data correction refined through co-location with UK government reference equipment
- 4G mobile comms for real-time data delivery to the cloud
- Wired: ethernet via RJ45 connector
- GPS receiver
- AM335x ARM Cortex-A8 through BeagleBone Black
- Real-time clock with battery backup. Time synchronisation is via GPS receiver, network time protocol or real-time clock, as available.
- Sense data messaging, control messaging and data storage using Amazon Web Services (AWS) or customer’s own infrastructure
- Local microSD data storage
- DC power input from 7 to 12 V, rechargeable battery (approximately two hours operation)
- Environmental range from -40 to +50 °C
- Dimensions: 250 x 200 x 147mm
- Weight: 4 Kg
- Power consumption: ~4 W